Video Game Family

1
In my classes in the School of Family Life, there is inevitably a time when video games comes up. They are almost universally cast in a bad light. I know there are reasons video games can be bad. I know they can be extremely addicting. I know that they numb people. Believe me (In fact, one time I stood in front of my cousin's TV so he couldn't see the screen because I hated that he was killing people. I kept telling him "They have families!").

Despite all this, video games will always mean so much to me.
I talked about this a little in class, but here is more of the story.

I didn't watch a football game until I was in high school. I don't think ESPN was ever on our TV screen. We're just not a sports family. We're a video game family.

Some of my earliest memories are watching my dad play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. We also had a Sega system and would play old games on that. My sisters and I played MarioKart on the Nintendo 64 together (blowing into the cartridge, anyone?). Video games were a family affair. I have spent many hours watching my dad defeat dungeon bosses. I play SuperSmash Bros (I'm awful and so I'm Kirby). I remember cuddling up next to my dad and telling him what to do in Diablo. When my family gets together, it inevitably ends with a Wii game and lots of laughter.

There were never any first-person shooters in my house. There was a lot of laughter.

Video games need to be treated with caution, but I have seen such unity come from them. People can have their own opinions, and I am still creating my own, but right now I quite like games.

1 comment:

  1. Too often great games get lumped together with the extremely vile games and people consider them all rubbish. Doing that is like lumping together X rated films and G films saying all movies are terrible. In movies, games, books, sports, etc. there are a range of fantastic choices and terrible choices in every category. I totally agree about the unity and bonding that can be created through gaming. I love playing games with my wife, family, and friends.

    ReplyDelete