Meshing TV Shows When You Get Married= Netflix and Chill?

1
Avatar the Last Airbender. Doctor Who.

Dick Van Dyke Show. Andy Griffith.

Yeah, we definitely come from different families.


Christian comes from black-and-white, Mayberry days.
Don't get me wrong, I've watched more than my fair share of TVLand, but that watching was generally solitary.
My family bonded over hero's journeys and far-away planets.

When Christian and I were dating, I happily watched whatever shows he wanted to watch. It was bonding for us and we both enjoyed it. I showed him a little bit of Doctor Who, but that's about it.

When we got married, we kept watching the 50's shows, but I wanted to share my favorites, too. I introduced him to Parks and Recreation (I know, not a big and blockbuster sci-fi show, but my favorite comedy).

I was incredibly nervous. What would he think of the humor? Would he find it offensive? The tongues these people had would most certainly not be allowed to say some words with Sheriff Taylor around. I had made a promise to stay with him for eternity...and what would an eternity be like without Pawnee, Indiana?

Don't worry, guys. Christian loved it. Leslie Knope is here to stay. And Tom with his chicky-chicky-parm-parm.

We haven't watched much Avatar or Doctor Who yet. To be honest, I'm still pretty nervous. As silly as it sounds, those television shows have a piece of my heart. Parts of who I am comes directly from them. It's intimidating to have something so close to me put out for the person I love the most to accept or reject.

But let's be honest: He's already accepted me. I mean, he's seen me chew with my mouth open plenty of times. I think he'll survive watching me swoon over Prince Zuko.

All this to say, meshing television preferences when you get married isn't the easiest thing to do. But it sure is fun to Netflix and chill* with your husband!

*That just means binge watch TV and then eat ice cream, right? Because that's how I've been using it.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you share my love for Parks and Rec. It's amazing to me how I've loved and gotten attached to all the characters. You and Christian are great!

    ReplyDelete